Saturday, March 20, 2010

Self Portrait Imagery

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/reviews/karlins/Images/karlins2-23-2.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/19/Mapping_071219024913107_wideweb__300x375.jpg

The above links will take you to two different sculptural self portraits. The first is done by Robert Arneson, a ceramic artist and the second is by Tim Hawkinson. The second is titled "Ballon, Self-Portrait #4" and is made out of latex. I am very drawn to both of these images.

The overall mood of Arneson's work is very interesting, everything works together while truly highlighting individual aspects of the piece. Arneson chooses to realistically portray himself but the facial expression shows that he can be lighthearted and isn't always so serious. Is something I share and would like to show in my own self portrait.

This is my first time seeing Tim Hawkinson's work. This self portrait is non-specific and when viewing this piece I assume it is to convey a feeling or idea that is experienced by the artist on a personal level but is something that many people can relate to. I like that something that is so personal can shared on a universal level. To me the work describes something that a lot of people can relate to, this is something that I would also like to capture in my self portrait.

2 comments:

  1. I really like these portraits. A lot of emotion is shown within the portrait by Robert Arneson. I like how it is able to capture a humorous side. Tim Hawkinson's work is very interesting, and I would love to see the work, so that I could view it from all sides. These make great inspirational pieces for a portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you chose to use sculptural self portraits. When I was looking for my examples I was only looking at 2-d work, I did not even think about 3-d self portraits. From now on I am going to consider both 2-d and 3-d work when researching art.

    ReplyDelete